What is Snoring:
Snoring is the vibration of respiratory structures and the resulting sound, due to obstructed air movement during breathing while sleeping. In some cases the sound may be soft, but in other cases, it can be loud and unpleasant. Snoring during sleep may be a sign, or first alarm, of obstructive sleep.
As many as half of adults snore at least occasionally. Snoring occurs when air flows past relaxed tissues in your throat, causing the tissues to vibrate as you breathe, which creates those irritating sounds.
People who snore often have too much throat and nasal tissue, or “floppy” tissue that is more prone to vibrate. The position of the tongue can also get in the way of smooth breathing. Evaluating how and when you snore will help you pinpoint whether the cause of your snoring is within your control or not.
Home Remedies for Snoring:
* Use pillows to keep your neck straight and comfortable. Also, elevate your head, which can sometimes help minimize your snoring.
* Some people believe that eating honey helps with your air passage by lubricating your throat, which prevents the snoring vibrations from occurring. Try adding honey to some tea before bed to alleviate your snoring problems.
* Stop smoking, as this aggravates the tissues in the throat that make you snore.
* One of the best ways to stop snoring would be to lose weight. This might surprise you, but weight loss reduces and even ends snoring.
* Alcohol causes relaxation in the soft tissues and muscles in the throat, leading to snoring. Reducing the intake of alcohol can lessen, or even stop, snoring.
* Make an effort to establish a regular sleeping schedule. Sometimes, poor sleep habits contribute to your snoring.
* The ideal posture while sleeping would be on the sides. This would reduce the intensity of sound created while snoring.
* Singing can help as it will exercise and strengthen your throat. Try joining a choir or a musical society and see if you reap these benefits.
* Olive oil is said to reduce snoring. Take 2 to 3 sips of it before going to bed. This would lessen the noise and also stop snoring after some time.
* Don’t’ eat a big meal before going to bed.
* In boiling water, place a bunch of sage and let it steep. Allow it to cool. Before going to bed, strain this mixture and gargle with the liquid. This will prove effective in reducing snoring.
* Check your medicines. Some medicines, like anthihistamines and sedatives can actually increase your snoring.