What is Knee Pain:
The knee joint is particularly vulnerable to damage and pain because it takes the full weight of your body and any extra force when you run or jump. This is why you are more susceptible to knee pain if you are overweight. The largest and most complicated joint, the knee is used for everything from standing up, sitting, to walking, running, etc. It’s a weight bearing joint that straightens, bends, twists and rotates. All this motion increases your risk of acute or overuse knee injuries.
Many types of minor knee pain respond well to self-care measures. Physical therapy and knee braces also can help relieve knee pain. In some cases, however, your knee may require surgical repair.
Causes of Knee Pain:
Causes of knee pain can be very varied and numerous. Injuries, arthritis, bursitis, gout, pica, Baker’s Cysts, tendonitis, and other conditions are all causes of knee pain.
Symptoms of Knee Pain:
Signs and symptoms that sometimes accompany knee pain include:
1. Swelling and stiffness
2. Redness and warmth to the touch
3. Weakness or instability
4. Popping or crunching noises
5. Locking or inability to fully straighten the knee
Home Remedies for Knee Pain:
* Apply ice or cold packs immediately to prevent or minimize swelling. Apply the ice or cold pack for 10 to 20 minutes, 3 or more times a day.
* Oil massages have traditionally been hailed as the ideal treatment for aches and pains. Take half a cup of oil, you can use coconut or olive oil, warm it up slightly and massage it onto the affected knee.
* Make hot paste from seeds of Black phaseolus, leaves of Rasna, Sandal, Castor and Country mallow to be applied on the affected joint.
* Ginger is also one of the best methods in the treatment of joint pains. It must be included freely in the daily diet of the person. Tea made with ginger in it is also beneficial.
* You can also make a warm paste by using wheat, castor and turmeric mixed in goat’s milk or ghee (a type of clarified butter) on the affected area.
* Have a glass of carrot juice early in the morning. Continue this till you find reduction in the pains, which should happen within a week.
* Taking steam baths helps to reduce Knee Pains caused by Arthritis. Follow this remedy on a regular basis to ease the pain.
* Nutritional supplements like glucose sulfate, chondroitin sulfate, niacinamide (vitamin B3), S-adenosyl-methionine (SAMe), and vitamin E may also be useful in treating knee pain due to osteoarthritis.
* Knee exercises help to strengthen the muscles supporting the knees thereby serving as a good natural treatment for Knee Pain. Yoga and acupuncture also serve as excellent Knee Pain home remedies.
* Massaging the affected area with warm olive oil, mustard oil or coconut oil is a highly recommended natural cure for Knee Pain and inflammation. Gently massage the area about two to three times per day.
* The R.I.C.E treatment is highly recommended when knee trouble flares up. This program of resting the knee, applying ice, compression and keeping the leg elevated and burden free, helps ease the pressure on the knee.