What is Gout:
Gout is a disease that results from an overload of uric acid in the body. This overload of uric acid leads to the formation of tiny crystals of urate that deposit in tissues of the body, especially the joints. Gout a complex form of arthritis can affect anyone. Men are more likely to get gout, but women become increasingly susceptible to gout after menopause.
Gout is a complex disorder, it is more prevalent among men, and afflicts women more commonly after the menopause. Men have higher uric acid levels in their blood than women. The body converts excess uric acid into crystals that can accumulate in joints. The extreme pain usually starts in the big toe; gout can also settle into other joints of the feet, ankles, knees, fingers, wrists, and elbows.
When the body increases its production of uric acid or if the kidneys do not eliminate enough of it from the body, levels build up. This is called hyperuricemia. Hyperuricemia is not a disease and is not dangerous. However, if excess uric acid crystals form as a result of hyperuricemia, gout can develop.
Symptoms of Gout:
Gout develops quickly, often within 12 to 24 hours. Signs and symptoms of a gout attack include:
* Some patients have an elevated temperature.
* The sufferer will most likely have tender, red and swollen joints in the areas that experienced the most pain.
* Swelling of the affected joint.
* The patient may experience pain in his ankles, hands, wrists, knees or feet.
* The affected area may become red or purplish, making the patient think he has an infection.
Remedies for Gout:
* Apples are also very good for the treatment of gout. A person with gout complaints must eat at least one apple per day for obtaining relief.
* Foods known to decrease the occurrence of gout include: dairy, foods high in potassium, black cherry juice, blueberries and lemon juice.
* Squeeze the juice of half a lemon in a glassful of water. Drink this juice thrice a day in morning, noon and night at regular intervals. This is one of the efficient natural remedy for gout.
* Drink 6-8 ounces glasses of fluid a day. This will not only reduce gout attacks a day but also wash out the urate crystals from the system and prevent you from developing kidney stones.
* Take two teaspoons of organic apple cider vinegar with two teaspoons of honey (twice a day). Within a few hours the pain will be minimized.
* Wrap the joint in a cool gel pack or surround the joint with ice wrapped in a towel. Ice for 20 to 30 minutes intervals.
* Regular consumption of garlic may reduce your episodes of gout.
* Bananas serve a good remedy for curing gout. Consume 3-4 bananas a day. Bananas are rich in minerals like phosphorus which can chemically react with the uric acid deposits and eliminate them from the system.
* Simple water can also help to a great extent in curing gout. Drink excess of water that is eight to ten glasses per day as they will cause the toxic uric acid to flow away and this will reduce its level.
* Soak the feet in Epsom salt if the pain is concentrated in big toe. Add two cups of Epsom salt in warm water; soak the feet in it and keep it till the water starts losing its heat.
* Black cherry really works wonders with gout pains. Drink concentrated juice of black cherry at regular intervals throughout the day. This will relieve you from the pain.
* Increase the amount of strawberries in your diet. Strawberries are rich sources of vitamin C. However, the strawberries must be fresh, and several of them must be eaten per day. This is one of the useful gout remedy.