What is High Cholesterol:
Cholesterol is a waxy substance that’s found in the fats (lipids) in your blood. Cholesterol a yellowish fatty substance is one of the essential ingredients of the body, While your body needs cholesterol to continue building healthy cells, having high cholesterol can increase your risk of heart disease.
Most of the cholesterol found in the body is produced in the liver. However, about twenty to thirty per cent generally comes from the food we eat. Cholesterol is measured in milligrams per 100 millimetres of blood. The normal level of cholesterol varies between 150 – 200 mg per 100 ml. In blood, cholesterol occurs in combination with certain lipids (fats), hence, known as lipoptroteins.
What Causes High Cholesterol Levels:
High cholesterol can be caused by:
What you eat.
Your activity level.
Your age and gender.
Your family history.
Symptom of High Cholesterol:
High cholesterol does not make you feel sick. It is usually found during a routine blood test that measures cholesterol levels. You may first find out that you have it when you are diagnosed with a problem that is caused in part by high cholesterol, such as a heart condition or a problem with your pancreas.
Some people with rare lipid disorders may have symptoms such as deposits of extra cholesterol in the skin. These deposits can also cause bumps in tendons in the hands or feet.
High Cholesterol Remedies:
Following are some of the effective home remedies for high cholesterol.
* Add one teaspoon of honey and one teaspoon of lime juice in one cup of hot water. Take it daily in morning for natural lowering cholesterol.
* Onion juice reduces cholesterol and works as a tonic for nervous system. It cleans blood, helps digestive system, cures insomnia and regulates the heart action & helps in lowering cholesterol.
* The best home remedy to cure a person with high cholesterol is to have at least 8-10 glasses of water per day.
* Omega 3 oils such as fish, borage and flax oil. Lower bad cholesterol and raise the good cholesterol levels.
* Take foods rich in Vitamin E like sunflower seeds, safflower, soyabean oils, butter, and sprouted seed and grains.
* Oatmeal. Eat a bowl of oatmeal every day for breakfast. Top with walnuts or almond bits and blueberries.
* Boil two tablespoons of dry seeds of coriander in a glass of water and strain the decoction after cooling.Take this decoction twice a day for lowering cholesterol.
* Green Tea. Drink one or more glasses a day. Powerful antioxidant and anti cancer properties too.
* Mix 10-12 tablespoons of apple juice and 5-6 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Intake this mixture once a day.
* Turmeric. Found in curry seasoning and plain yellow mustard. Lowers cholesterol, helps guard against Alzheimer’s and may help protect smokers from cancer.
* Regular exercising is very necessary to keep the cholesterol levels under control.
* Walnuts. Eat a half cup of walnuts every day. Almonds are also good.
* Add a teaspoon of methi powder in a glass of water. Take it empty stomach for one month.
* Garlic. Is cholesterol’s natural enemy. Eat three cloves daily to lower blood pressure, build immune system and guard against cancer.
* Persons suffering from high cholesterol should have foods rich in fiber such as raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, broccoli, green beans, etc.