What is Nasal Congestion:
Nasal congestion is the blockage of the nasal passages usually due to membranes lining the nose becoming swollen from inflamed blood vessels. It is also known as nasal blockage, nasal obstruction, blocked nose, stuffy nose, or plugged nose. Nasal Congestion can be hard to breathe through your nose and you might find it’s easier to breathe through your mouth. At night, nasal congestion may make it difficult for you to get to sleep or stay asleep all night and this can be frustrating.
Nasal congestion most commonly is the result of inflammation and swelling of the lining tissues of the nasal passages and sinuses. Less commonly, anatomical obstructions (for example, a deviated nasal septum, foreign bodies) may lead to nasal congestion.
Symptoms of Nasal Congestion:
Symptoms may include difficulty breathing through your nose, a runny nose, and sneezing. Those who suffer from severe nasal congestion can have trouble in sleeping, speaking, and hearing and even experience bothersome snoring.
What Causes Nasal Congestion:
Congestion can be caused by many of the same things that cause a runny nose, including:
* Common cold
* Hay fever or other allergies
* Overuse of some nasal sprays or drops
* Sinus infection
* Tobacco smoke
* Peanut allergy
* Pet allergy
* Spicy foods
Remedies for Nasal Congestion:
* Taking 3-4 baked black pepper seeds in the morning, or inhaling fumes by burning them on fire gives fast relief. This is one of the best home remedies for nasal congestion.
* Boil some water in a container and cover your head and face with a towel. Now, bend over the boiling water and inhale the steam for 7 to 10 minutes from your nose and mouth. Do this for 3 to 4 times daily.
* Take two tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a pan and heat until it begins to steam. Inhale the vapor to open the nasal passage.
* Drink some hot broths like vegetable and chicken soups mixed with lots of black pepper, hot chocolate etc.
* Peppermint oil is also an excellent ingredient to decongest the nasal passage. Take two drops of peppermint oil in a cotton ball and then breathe deeply.
* You can also try having 1 or 2 tsp of horseradish sauce to get immediate relief.
* Take bath in warm water to get relief from nasal congestion. Steam bath is also very good.
* Taking a whiff of an onion causes stimulation in the nose that leads to runny results and temporary unblocked congestion.
* Take in plenty of fluids throughout the day. Drink as much of water, tea and fruit juice as much as possible, throughout the day.
* Take a handful of carom seeds and grind into powder. Take the powder in a piece of cotton cloth and tie it. Place this near the pillow.