What is Jaundice:
Jaundice, also known as icterus, is a term used to describe a yellowish tinge to the skin and sclerae (the white part of the eye) that is caused by hyperbilirubinemia (an excess of bilirubin in the blood). Body fluids may also be yellow. The color of the skin and sclerae varies depending on levels of bilirubin; mildly elevated levels display yellow skin and sclerae, while highly elevated levels display brown.
When the bilirubin level is mildly elevated, they are yellowish. When the bilirubin level is high, they tend to be brown. Jaundice may arise from increased breakdown of red blood cells, inherited changes in bilirubin metabolism, liver disease or damage, and whenever there is interference with bile excretion.
Symptoms of Jaundice:
The most pervasive sign of jaundice is a yellow tinge to the skin and sclerae (whites of the eyes). This usually starts at the head and spreads down the body.
Other symptoms of jaundice include:
* Pruritis (itchiness)
* Abdominal pain – typically indicates a blockage of the bile duct.
* Weight loss
* Paler than usual stools
* Dark urine.
Causes of Jaundice:
Jaundice may be caused by several different disease processes. It is helpful to understand the different causes of jaundice by identifying the problems that disrupt the normal bilirubin metabolism and/or excretion.
Home Remedies for Jaundice:
1. 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder mixed in a glass of hot water taken 2-3 times a day.
2. It is advisable to drink 8 glasses of water daily.
3. Make a paste of tender papaya leaves. Take 1/2 tsp of this paste with 1 tsp honey.
4. Leafy green vegetables and fruits are also beneficial for patients of jaundice.
5. Boil 1 cup of water, when it boils add 8-10 lemon leaves. Cover and leave for 4-5 minutes. Drink the decoction for 4-5 days.
6. A diet including lots of orange juice, sugarcane juice and barley water is prescribed for jaundice patients.
7. 1/2 tsp ginger juice, 1 tsp mint juice and 1tsp lime juice to be taken as often as possible.
8. 1 cup of juice made with radish leaves taken 2 times a day.
9. First thing in the morning, drink 1 glass of fresh Tomato juice. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to this.
10. Foods like coffee, alcohol, red meat and white sugar should be totally avoided.
Preventions of Jaundice:
1. Intake of dairy products like cheese and milk should be cut down.
2. A jaundice afflicted person requires plenty of sleep and rest.