What is Hemorrhoids:
Hemorrhoids (Piles) are blood vessels located in the smooth muscles of the walls of the rectum and anus. They are a normal part of the anatomy and are located at the junction where small arteries merge into veins. Hemorrhoids are swollen veins in the anal canal. This common problem can be painful, but it’s usually not serious. Veins can swell inside the anal canal to form internal hemorrhoids. Or they can swell near the opening of the anus to form external hemorrhoids. You can have both types at the same time. The symptoms and treatment depend on which type you have.
Hemorrhoids are itching, painful, or bleeding masses of swollen tissues and varicose veins, Fortunately, hemorrhoid can be treated easily, and may be prevented in many cases. Although most people think hemorrhoid is abnormal, they are present in everyone. It is only when the hemorrhoidal cushions enlarge that hemorrhoid can cause problems and be considered abnormal or a disease.
Symptoms of hemorrhoid include:
• Anal itching
• Bleeding during bowel movements (often bright red on the paper or on the outside of the stool)
• Protrusion during bowel movements
• Sensitive lumps around the anus
Factors that might cause increased pressure include:
* Straining during bowel movements
* Sitting for long periods of time on the toilet
* Chronic diarrhea or constipation
* Anal intercourse
* Low-fiber diet
Hemorrhoids are more likely as you get older because the tissues that support the veins in your rectum and anus can weaken and stretch with aging.
* Soak your anal area in plain warm water 10 to 15 minutes two to three times a day.
* Drinking chamomile tea several times a day.
* Bath or shower daily to clean the skin around your anus gently with warm water. Soap isn’t necessary and may aggravate the problem. Gently dry the area with a hair dryer after bathing.
* Prune juice is also good during pregnancy to help reduce hemorrhoids.
* Buttermilk can also be used to prepare another effective remedy. Just add some peppercorns, rock salt, and ginger. Drink this at least twice a day for some quick relief.
* Avoid excessive sex especially that which involves the anus.
* Apply ice packs or cold compresses on your anus to relieve swelling.
* Eat a lot of fresh fruits as they are a natural source of fiber, but avoid refined, processed, and fast foods.
* Papaya is also very useful as it helps in easy digestion of foods.
* Taking herbs and dietary supplements to strengthen vein walls.
* Eating fiber rich bulking agents like plantain to help create soft stool and to lessen irritation of existing hemorrhoid.