What is Neck Pain:
Neck pain is any type of pain or discomfort throughout the neck region, which consists of the cervical spine, muscles, ligaments, tendons, nerves, and blood vessels. Most people will experience neck pain at some point in their lives, and it is usually not a cause for concern.
Neck pain usually originates in the neck itself, but it can also be due to problems in other parts of the body, such as the head, shoulders and chest, and radiate to the neck. Therefore, your neck pain may be accompanied by other symptoms.
Neck Pain Symptoms:
Symptoms can include:
• Pain and stiffness
• Numbness or tingling
• Clicking or grating noises (crepitus)
• Dizziness or blackouts
• Muscle spasms
Neck Pain Causes:
Many things can trigger neck pain. These include:
* Trauma or injury
* Worry and stress
* Falling asleep in an awkward position
* Prolonged use of a computer keyboard
There are several theories about why so many people suffer neck pain, but they are not supported by scientific proof. For most people, no specific reason for the pain can be found.
Neck Pain Remedies:
1. Ice effectively numbs pain and decreases inflammation. Put crushed ice in a plastic bag and cover the bag with a pillowcase (a terry towel is too thick to effectively transmit the cold). Apply the icepack to your painful neck for 15 minutes at a time.
2. You can even try using a towel soaked in hot water and then squeezed and placed on the affected neck region.
3. Roll up a towel and place it behind your lower back when seated. This will give you additional back support.
4. Take a hot shower to relieve tension and relax tight shoulders and muscles.
5. Cervical collar restricts the movement to the neck. Therefore try applying cervical collar on your neck to get relief from neck stiffness.
6. If it’s cold outside, it’s a good decision to cover your neck and keep it warm. The weather can potentially aggravate neck stiffness or pain.
7. You can try a simple neck movement exercise at home. All you need to do is sit in a relaxed position and try to slowly rotate your stiff neck in clockwise and anticlockwise direction.
8. Make it a daily habit of practicing relaxation techniques such as yoga, meditation and breathing exercises.
9. Instead of a standard pillow you can buy orthopedic pillows available in the market to avoid further neck stiffness.
10. In case of swelling and pain it is beneficial to eat raw pineapple. It will reduce your swelling and give relief from the pain.
11. Inactivity or lack of movement can contribute to stiff neck. Try not to sit in a particular position for prolonged period of time and take frequent breaks.
12. Take a piece of cloth and put some salt on it. Now tie this piece of cloth around your neck with salt in contact with your neck. This is one of the effective home remedies for stiff neck.
13. Take some outer leaves of the cabbage and warm them in a hot water. Now place them on the affected region of your neck and bandage it with a piece of cloth.
These were some of the effective home remedies for stiff neck which are simple, safe and easy to follow.