What is Runny Nose:
Runny nose is excess drainage, which may range from a clear fluid to thick mucus, produced by the nasal and adjacent tissues and blood vessels in the nose. The drainage of runny nose may run out of your nose or down the back of your throat or both. Mucus formation is also part of the histamine reaction to allergies and of the body’s defenses during respiratory infections.
Symptoms of Runny Nose:
Runny nose may accompany other symptoms that vary depending on the underlying disease, disorder or condition. Symptoms that frequently affect the respiratory system may also involve other body systems.
Causes of a Runny Nose:
Common causes of runny nose include:
* Spicy food
* Crying Infection
* Nasal Polyps
* Nasal Trauma
* Cold temperatures
Remedies for a Runny Nose:
* Breathing in steam of water mixed with salt can help remove dust and other allergic molecules and eliminate a runny nose.
* Drink plenty of water and other non-caffeinated beverages.
* Ginger juice can clear a runny nose and soothe a sore throat.
* Drink a mixture of 1 tablespoon honey juice, 2 drops fresh lime juice and 1 cup warm water.
* Drink of cup of hot tea with mint and a dash of cayenne pepper to help clear your nose and stop running.
* Chew gum to relieve a runny nose.
* Take a hot shower, inhaling the steam.
* Make a mixture of ½ teaspoon table salt and a cup of warm water; use a nasal dropper to insert the solution into the nostrils.
* Applying warmed mustard oil in the nostrils can relieve a runny nose.
* Drink plenty of orange and grapefruit juice.
* Have a bowl of chicken soup for lunch or dinner.
* Foods such as spinach and cabbage are helpful for relieving a runny nose.
* Slice an onion and place it in hot water. When it cools enough to drink, remove the onion and drink the onion water for fast relief.