What is Bad Breath:
Bad breath, medically called halitosis, can result from poor dental health habits and may be a sign of other health problems. Bad breath can also be made worse by the types of foods you eat and other unhealthy lifestyle habits.
Bad breath is not contagious, meaning you cannot catch it from someone else. Chronic bad breath, known as Halitosis, does not come from the stomach. The only odor that comes from the stomach is when you burp. Food eaten such as garlic and spicy foods once absorbed into the body can release odor through the lungs when you breathe.
Symptoms Bad Breath:
Some bad breath symptoms sour taste, metallic taste, post nasal drainage, halitosis, film on tongue, tongue film, dry mouth, yellow film.
What Causes Bad Breath:
There are a number of causes of bad breath, foremost among them being bacteria in the mouth, stomach and intestinal disturbances, bowel sluggishness, sinus or throat infections, and tobacco and alcohol use.
Remedies for Bad Breath:
1. Buy mints not the fruity kinds but wintergreen or original mint. I like altoids or ice breakers. Chew minty gum whenever possible. Everyone has icky breath in the morning, so before school or work, brush your teeth and use mouthwash. Works perfectly.
2. Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
3. Talk to your periodontist about gum and teeth problems that might be the cause of bad breath.
4. Rinse your mouth before sleeping with a glass of water with the juice of half a lemon added.
5. Both cloves and cardamom seeds have been found effective in curing bad breath, especially if chewed after meal times.
6. Be sure to exercise regularly and eat a high-fiber diet that will keep your bowl movements regular and help in curing bad breath caused by constipation.
7. Fenugreek seeds ( methi seeds) have been proven effective in curing bad breath. Simmer 1 tsp. of seeds in 2 cups of water for a quarter of an hour, then strain the tea and drink it to cure bad breath.
8. Drinking green tea, eating yogurt or chewing sugarless cardamom gum are helpful in combating bad breath.
9. Avoid rinses containing alcohol, as these dry out mouth and aggravate the problem.
10. Fruit and vegetable juices help a great deal in getting rid of bad breath.
11. One can also use breath-freshening gum, mint, sugar free chewing gum that dissolve on the tongue.
12. If you wear removable dentures, take them out at night. Brush the dentures and soak them overnight in a disinfecting solution.