Constipation occurs when bowel movements become difficult or less frequent. Constipation is defined medically as fewer than three stools per week and severe constipation as less than one stool per week.
Constipation is a common cause of painful defecation. Severe constipation includes obstipation (failure to pass stools or gas) and fecal impaction (see also Bowel obstruction).
Causes of Constipation:
Common causes of constipation include.
* Inadequate water intake.
* Inadequate fiber in the diet.
* A disruption of regular diet or routine; traveling.
* Eating large amounts of dairy products.
* Eating disorders.
Symptoms of Constipation:
• A sensation that the bowels haven’t completely emptied.
• Infrequent bowel movements.
• Hard, dry stools that are difficult to pass.
• Pain or pressure in the belly.
• Some bleeding as a result of straining.
Home Remedies for Constipation:
1. Drink some warm milk before you go to bed.
2 . Take a lemon or two to work and squeeze its juice in warm water and keep sipping on it. Do not add sugar or salt.
3. Take Apple pectin, helps with constipation and brings fibers into the body.
4. Take folic acid. An insufficient intake of folic acid can lead to constipation.
5. While cooking use asafoetida, cumin powder, turmeric powder and coriander which make the food easily digestible.
6. Exercise often a simple stroll in the park can relieve constipation.
7. Ginger tea is a great home remedy for constipation. It helps start bowel movement.
8. Eat lots of fruits, green vegetables cabbage, peas, carrots, garlic, sweet potatoes, all these are high in fiber.
9. To clean and heal the digestive system take Aloe Vera juice twice a day.
10. Besides these home remedies you have to alter your lifestyle too. Sleep for a minimum of 8 hours. Eat plenty of fruits. Only properly cooked vegetables should be consumed.