What Is the Colon?
The colon is also called the large intestine. The ileum (last part of the small intestine) connects to the cecum (first part of the colon) in the lower right abdomen. The rest of the colon is divided into four parts.
• The ascending colon travels up the right side of the abdomen.
• The transverse colon runs across the abdomen.
• The descending colon travels down the left abdomen.
• The sigmoid colon is a short curving of the colon, just before the rectum.
The colon removes water, salt, and some nutrients forming stool. Muscles line the colon’s walls, squeezing its contents along. Billions of bacteria coat the colon and its contents, living in a healthy balance with the body. Colon cleansing is the procedure to get rid of the harmful toxins or the unwanted material from our body. A few times each day, strong muscle contractions move down its length, pushing the waste matter towards the anus. Coordinated muscle movements then help the colon expel the waste from the body.
Why a Colon Cleanse?
One of the most common reasons for a colon cleanse is to improve functionality, as well as ease the symptoms or prevent constipation. Other reasons why people enlist the help of a colon cleanse includes:
* Weight loss.
* Increased energy levels.
* Improved concentration.
* Boosting overall health.
* Clear skin.
Home Remedies for Colon Cleansing:
Here are the top 10 home remedies for colon cleansing. Before starting any colon cleansing program, consult your doctor for proper guidance, especially if you are taking any medications or suffering from any health condition.
* For colon cleansing, the best thing you can do is drink plenty of water. It is essential to drink at least 10 to 12 glasses of water in a day.
* Fresh apple juice is one of the best home remedies for colon cleansing. Drinking apple juice regularly encourages bowel movements, breaks down toxins and improves the health of liver as well as the digestive system.
* Eat plenty of fish as they are rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, which help in proper digestion, thereby promoting good colon health.
* Lemon has antioxidant properties and its high vitamin C content is good for the digestive system. Hence, lemon juice can be used for colon cleansing.
* Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. This provides fiber to help clear out toxins from the colon.
* Eating foods rich in fiber will help cleanse the colon of the harmful toxins. Fiber helps keep the stools soft and improve the bowel movement, which ultimately encourages the body to expel waste products. At the same time, fiber-rich foods will also help get rid of any kind of intestinal problem.
* Eating fresh yogurt on a regular basis is a good way to keep the colon healthy. Being a probiotic food, yogurt, especially the one with live and active cultures, will introduce “good” bacteria into the gut that promote digestion.
* Keeping a good regime of physical activity in your daily routine will also aid in the digestive system and will keep the colon free from excess wastes.
* Avoid meat, alcohol, caffeine and carbonated drinks at all costs. These items actually hinder the colon cleanse.
* Use garlic to cleanse your system out by getting rid of harmful bacteria.