Milk is an important part of our diet. We begin drinking it when we are young, but our intake decreases as we get older. Some people shy away from it because they fear that it will add too much fat to their diet. Others leave it out because they believe that they no longer need it. You are never too old to reap the rewards of drinking milk. It is a great source of vitamins and nutrients, and it has several health benefits.
Milk is highly enriched in nutritional food value. It has almost all the regular nutritional elements such as protein, carbohydrate, fat, vitamins, minerals etc and thus provides a very healthy and natural source for fulfilling these nutritional needs. The nutritional value of milk have always influenced people all over the world to include it in diet. Addition of milk in your daily diet can also help in achieving a well balanced diet. Milk is an ideal source of nutrients such as vitamin A & B, calcium, carbohydrate, phosphorous, magnesium, protein, zinc and riboflavin.
Milk deficiency can cause severe anemia, osteoporosis and other related illnesses. The consumption of milk is essential for maintaining good health and having the energy and strength to do normal activities.
Health Benefits of Milk:
Milk is extremely beneficial drink for mankind. Some of the advantages of drinking this life giving nectar are as follows:
* Calcium: Milk is the best source of calcium supply to our body. Calcium protects the body from major chronic ailments such as cancerous chemicals, bone loss, arthritic condition, migraine headaches, pre-menstrual syndrome, and obesity in children and aids in losing unwanted fats.
* Healthy Bones: Bone disorders such as osteoporosis can be prevented with a significant daily intake of milk. Children deprived of cow’s milk have an increased chance of suffering from bone fractures when injured, and their healing time will be significantly higher if they don’t have a steady stream of calcium to aid in the regrowth of bone matter.
* Healthy Teeth: Encouraging children and youngsters to drink milk would give them excellent dental health, as milk protects the enamel surface against acidic substances.
* Muscles: Milk contains protein, which helps to rebuild muscles. Drink a glass of milk after you exercise to give your body what it needs to recover. It will help to keep soreness at bay while replenishing fluids that you lost during your workout.
* Re hydration: The body needs to be replenished with liquids at regular intervals. It is very essential for growing children and they must drink at least six to eight glasses of fluid every day. Milk contains a good quantity of water molecules and is considered the best fluid for rehydration.
* Weight Loss: Studies show that women who drink low-fat or skim milk lose more weight than those who exclude milk from their diet. It is a great appetizer and it makes a healthy snack. Add a glass to your dinner, or drink a glass while eating a piece of fruit.
* Acidity Reduction: Consumption of milk products can also help in reducing acidity throughout the body. Drinking cold milk specifically provides relief from acidity.
* Skin Care: Milk is known to benefit our skin by helping us maintain a fair and smooth complexion. Milk is also good for dry skin, if you have dry skin apply milk on your face (and other body parts), leave it for about 15 minutes and then wash it, the milk solids nourish and smoothen your skin, the lactic acid present in milk is known to aid in removing the dead skin cells, thereby rejuvenating your skin.
* Less Stress: Milk is a great way to de-stress at the end of the day. A glass of warm milk will help to relax tense muscles and soothe frayed nerves. Milk has also been proven to reduce symptoms of PMS and boost energy. The next time you are feeling frazzled, try drinking a glass of milk while you soak in a bubble bath.
* Healthy Body: Milk has properties that lower high blood pressure and risk of strokes. It reduces the liver’s production of cholesterol, and it can act as an antacid. Vitamins A and B in milk can help build good eyesight. Milk has also been show to help lower risk of certain cancers.