What is Gum Disease:
Gum disease is very common, affecting 15-20% of the world’s population. It is estimated that half the adult population has some degree of gum disease and most people experience it at least once. It is much less common in children. If you have gum disease, your gums may bleed when you brush your teeth and you may have bad breath.
Gum disease describes swelling, soreness or infection of the tissues supporting the teeth. There are two main forms of gum disease: gingivitis and periodontal disease. Gum disease is inflammation of the gums (gingivae) and damage to the bone that anchors teeth in the jaws.
Symptoms of Gum Disease:
Warning signs of gum disease include the following:
* Red, swollen or tender gums or other pain in your mouth
* Bleeding while brushing, flossing, or eating hard food
* Gums that are receding or pulling away from the teeth, causing the teeth to look longer than before
* Loose or separating teeth
* Pus between your gums and teeth
* Sores in your mouth
* Persistent bad breath
* A change in the way your teeth fit together when you bite
* A change in the fit of partial dentures
Causes of Gum Disease:
Our mouths are full of bacteria. These bacteria, along with mucus and other particles, constantly form a sticky, colorless “plaque” on teeth. Brushing and flossing help get rid of plaque. Plaque that is not removed can harden and form “tartar” that brushing doesn’t clean. Only a professional cleaning by a dentist or dental hygienist can remove tartar.
Gum Disease Remedies:
* A couple of drops of olive leaf extract or tea tree oil on your toothbrush can arrest infection and kill the bacteria in the mouth.
* Aloe vera can be applied directly to inflamed gums and used to soothe the tissues in the mouth.
* A mouthwash made from a combination of chamomile, echinacea and myrrh has been successfully used for treating gingivitis.
* Reduce sugar intake. This includes both snacks and drinks that are high in sugar. If you do consume foods that contain sugar, ideally, brush your teeth right away.
* Just 15ml of drakshadi decotion with 60ml of luke warm water twice a day before a meal will arrest gum bleeding.
* Prepare an antibacterial mouthwash by 3% hydrogen peroxide solution with half a glass of water. Use this to rinse your mouth twice daily as a periodontal gum disease cure.
* Gargling your mouth with salt solution will also help cure gum disease.
* Massage your gums and teeth with essential oils like clove oil, eucalyptus oil or peppermint oil. Do this twice a day and make sure you do not rinse off the oil.
* Vitamin C, This vitamin when consumed in the form of oranges, sweet limes, lime juice, guava or amla is considered one of the best home remedies for gum disease.
* The best gum disease remedy is to take adequate time (at least 4-5 minutes) to brush and floss your teeth at least 2-3 times daily. Also don’t forget to rinse your mouth with plain water after eating tiny piece of any food.
* Brush with baking soda. This is a popular ingredient in toothpastes and tooth powders because it purifies and freshens the mouth while gently cleaning the teeth.
* Add a drop of tea tree oil twice a week to your brushing routine. Any more than that and you may irritate the tender gums. Tea tree oil acts as an antiseptic and an antibiotic to reduce localized infections.